Why is mold testing important?

Mold testing should be performed to ensure that proper remediation takes place. Due to there being thousands of types of mold and no matter if the mold is dead or dormant it can still be an issue. Mold testing helps to provide the environmental hygienist with the information needed to remediate the mold and ensure the safety of the tenant.

Some molds will produce mycotoxins (poisonous toxins). Simply spraying a mildewcide or fungicide on mold will not remove or inactivate the mycotoxins that have already been produced. An adverse reaction from dead mold or mold spores can still happen. Not all molds produce mycotoxins all the time. It is important to note that mold spores do not have to be alive to be dangerous. Dead and dormant mold can be just as toxic. Tolerance to these mycotoxins again varies from person to person. Either way mold testing should still be performed to determine the type of mold that you are dealing with.

Note: Bleach is not effective at eliminating mold. It may clean mold off a surface, but it does not penetrate porous materials where mold hides. For proper mold killing cleaners, visit www.iondon.com/mold.htmIf you believe that you or your children have symptoms that you suspect are caused by exposure to mold, you should see a physician. Keep in mind that many symptoms associated with mold exposure may also be caused by many other illnesses. You should tell your physician about any symptoms and approximately when, how and how long you think you or your children were exposed.