Just like there are different types of ice cream there are different types of fire damage. There are six classifications ranging from least damage to most damage. Classifying fire damage is beneficial to the cleaning up process. In order to clean up fire damage in your Covington commercial property, you must know what you are dealing with. Make sure to call a professional for any amount of fire damage. Experts at ICON Property Rescue are one such company.
Class A: involves flammable solids. This includes plastics, paper, rubber, woods and cloth. These are the most common fires because of the way they’re started. They can be started intentionally by lighting a candle or starting a bonfire; however, these intentional fires can turn into unintentional fire by accidently knocking over a candle or stray sparks from a fireplace or bonfire. Luckily these are the easiest to extinguish; however, still take extreme precaution when dealing with these fires. The cleanup process for these types of fires are pretty self-explanatory, but can be avoided by being made aware.
Class B: These fires involve ignitable gases such as petroleum grease, alcohol, paint, propane, or gasoline; however, cooking oils and grease are excluded from this list. The most important thing to know about these fires is that you should never put water on them. Putting water on these will make problems worse rather than extinguish it. Always call a firefighter and cleanup specialist to ensure your safety.
Class C: These involve flammable gasses such as hydrogen, propane, and natural gas. The best way to avoid these fires is to be able to detect when you smell natural gasses and shut them off. These can be very dangerous since they’re so flammable. Ensure your safety by calling professionals, and be sure to stay away as soon as you smell these gases.
Class D: These occur when metal ignites a fire. Although these are rare, they are still dangerous and can still happen. When these rare fires occur, they usually happen in laboratories and industrial settings. Metals such as potassium, magnesium, aluminum, and sodium can ignite when exposed to air or water; however, finding these pure substances is hard which is why these fires are rare.
Class E: These involve electrical equipment and can be started by old wiring, frayed cords, faulty appliances, etc. These are fairly common in older homes and industrial settings although they can happen anywhere. This fire can turn into a Class A depending on what’s close to it. In addition, Class E are also found in Class A and B. Just like a Class B don’t put water or a foam extinguisher because they can conduct electricity and make the problem worse.
Class F: involves cooking oils and grease. These fires differ from Class B because of the oil/grease’s heat capacity. These pose much more danger because of the intense heat. Similar to Class B and Class E don’t put water on these fires. Putting water on any of these fires makes matters worse and pose a lot more danger for you.
All of these categories help firefighters and fire restoration companies best save your property. Despite the type of fire, make certain to call professionals because each classification poses different dangers. In case you do face a fire in your Covington commercial business, contact ICON Property Rescue. You will not regret it!